Libro Credit Union gives back to Huron Perth
HURON COUNTY — Ontario’s second largest Credit Union is ‘giving back’ to Huron and Perth county communities.
Libro Credit Union recognized 13 Community Builder Grant recipients at a special event in Clinton this week.
Grants totalling over $190,000 were formally presented.
Some of the largest donations were $75,000 to the Goderich Lions Club for their Camp Klahanie development; over $45,000 to the Stratford-based Community Food Centre for it’s ‘Seed, Feed and Lead’ program; and $32,000 to the Huron Business Development Corporation in Seaforth for the Libro Imagine Huron Program.
Funding is awarded to projects and community development programs where youth up to age 25 play a major role.
Each Libro branch has a council of owner representatives who work with staff in the grant evaluation process and award selection.
The 2014 Community Builder Grant recipients from Huron-Perth are:
- Belmore Chamber of Commerce, Save the Ice – $7,500
- Brussels Leo Club, Libro Community Multi-Use Sportspad – $7,500
- Goderich Camp Menesetung Pool Revitalization – $5,000
- Goderich Lions Club, Camp Klahanie Comfort Station – $75,000
- Hensall Kinsmen, Hensall Community Splash Pad – $5,000
- Huron Business Development Corporation, The Libro Imagine Huron Program Seaforth – $32,000
- Huron Perth Summer Traveling Day Camp, Kids in the Kitchen, Goderich – $5,000
- Listowel Agricultural Society, Improvements to the Listowel Fairgrounds – $6,500
- Listowel District Secondary School Concert Band – $3,500
- The Local Community Food Centre: Seed, Feed and Lead Stratford – $45,892
- Rotaract Club of Stratford, Youth Centre Rejuvenation Project – $10,000
- Seaforth Public School’s Playground Revitalization Project – $10,000
- Exeter Community Splash Pad and Playground Project – $10,000
In 2015, Libro will be introducing a Community Engagement Program focused on youth development and leadership, regional economic development, and money smarts.
By John Chippa, AM920 CKNX, December 10, 2014